What’s an International Drivers Licence, and do I need one to drive a car abroad?

An International Driving Permits IDP, is exactly what the name states and identifies you as a driver abroad. It will not replace your national driver’s license that you need to have with you at all times. There exist two versions, one valid for 1 year and the other for 3 years.

When your national driver’s license include non-roman characters (Russian, Chinese etc.) you need an international driving permits.
Usually an IDP is not needed in Europe, but restrictions may apply. Demand for an IDP is clearly indicated during the booking process in the Rate details section and in your rental conditions.
Read more about IDP and when its needed here. (opens in a new window)